Barbara Fane, LCSW, BCD
- New Jersey Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
- Certified School Social Worker
- Certified Clinical Supervisor
- Board Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress
- Board Certified in Sexual Abuse
Center for Advanced Psychoanalytic Studies
New York University
Master of Clinical Social Work
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Bachelor of Social Work
My 20 plus years of professional experience and education have shaped my therapeutic philosophy. For those who are curious about my theoretical orientation, I integrate approaches from Relational / Interpersonal Psychodynamic models, CBT, DBT, ACT, and Solution Focused interventions. While I am happy to discuss theory, I believe these terms are often of little value and meaning to someone looking for a therapist.
What individuals typically really want is a sense of what all those terms mean for them and more importantly, how I will work to assist them. So putting theories aside, let me share some of my core beliefs on the process of therapy.
My approach affirms the individuals inherent wisdom, resources and strengths.
- I believe that symptoms often represent the individuals efforts to adapt given the resources available to them.
- I believe that most issues that bring clients into therapy are related to the person doing the very best they can to deal with life experiences-to adapt, to survive, to avoid getting hurt again.
- I recognize that people often seek help when those original survival strategies are no longer working or become problematic.
- I honor how individuals have coped and will help you develop additional skills, insights, and resources to move forward.
Professional Experience Includes:
Clinical Director, Human Services
District Coordinator, Student Assistance Counseling Services
Psychotherapist, Private Practice
Clinical Consultant, Akin Learning Center
Psychotherapist, Jewish Family Services
Psychiatric Social Worker, Good Samaritan Hospital
Parenting Group Coordinator / Workshop Facilitator
Mental Health Liaison, West Bergen Mental Health Center
Outpatient Therapist, Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. Psych Services
Senior Behavior Therapist, Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. Psych Services
Crisis Counselor, National Save-A-Life League